Sunday, January 10, 2010

Joyful music leads us sunward In the triumph song of life

A bajillion things flew in to my head today where I said "Man I should blog about that"
Unfortunately that would have made for a never ending blog. Not to mention I'm afraid I forgot some of them. So I'm going to give you the footnotes version of my thoughts today.

1. I need to run/walk around campus as much as possible this last semester. I'll miss it when I'm gone, so I'm going to really appreciate it while I'm here.

2. I enjoy somethings about winter, but this whole cold, dry air all the time is starting to bug me. And my skin. I'm soooo itchy!

3. I really like having going to bed a little bit earlier with a proper pre-bed ritual. I'm getting more and more OCD in my old age.

4. I miss my friends.

5. I need to bake something soon.

6. Now that the The Oaks have cell phone service, I think they might be almost perfect.

7/Fast Update: The past few days I've kind of felt like my fast hasn't been important enough. It started to seem silly to me. Never silly enough to quit, because really, I'm too stubborn for that, but it just didn't seem like it was going to impact me the way that I had hoped. And today I realized that's because I've been putting that music that I'm used to on a higher pedestal than God. I can't tell you how many times I've whined and complained the past few days because I'd have to ignore links to new music one of my favorite bands, or turn away from Glee, and I have to admit I was really bummed when I realized I can't watch the auditions for American Idol (it's the only part I watch, the bad people just crack me up, not to mention the addition of Ellen....but I digress....)
The point is, I'd realized these things that'd I'd be "missing" and whine and bemoan about it and it'd take me too long to remember that I'm doing this to get closer to my Lord. To sacrifice for Him, to be closer to Him.
And it's so foolish of me, because I know that hearing music with a message and higher purpose makes me feel so much more peaceful. You see, as much as I use music to lift myself up if I get in a bad place I am very quick to throw on negative music that will push me down in that dark place and even further away from God. I use that music to wallow in garbage instead of turning to God to pull me out. I'm starting to see the things in my life that are getting in the way of me being closer to God. I guess when it comes down to it I end up being my own worst enemy. With praise music I am constantly reminded that He loves me and that He has sacrificed for me that he is always there to pull me out and that is an amazing feeling. To know that he is always right there, and for me what I've got to do is get out of the way.
-The condensed version of that is GOD IS AMAZING and I have so much love and respect for my (growing!) Northpark family.
I am so blessed, and remember that you are too.

Now to finish putting some new music on my ipod, so that I can start this week of right.

No comments:

Post a Comment